January 28, 2015

Ch-ch-ch-ch-chaaaaaaaaaanges

I find people's reactions to life changes/choices so amazing. As well as how much stake we put into people's reactions when they are notified of these life changes/choices. Think about it. A negative or doubtful questioning of a choice could make you feel like you are making the biggest mistake of your life - even when you've already come to terms with it and accepted it. Will it change your mind completely? Probably not. But it can impact your overall feeling about the choice. On the other hand, a positive reaction and encouragement, makes you feel like you are absolutely doing the 100% right thing. Even if it crashes and burns in the end; even when you came to terms with it and accepted it.

I am a firm believer in this:
“In the end that was the choice you made, and it doesn't matter how hard it was to make it. It matters that you did.” ― Cassandra ClareCity of Glass
and this:
“Let go, Let God.” ― God
We have no control - especially when we crave control - it's simply not up to us. What is up to us, however, is making the most out of our life choices. Because in the end the decisions we make and the road we travel to reach those decisions are our choice.

Two beautiful examples:

A) Matthew 
My pregnancy with Matthew was far from idyllic. Aside from the fact that pregnancy is uncomfortable, I was without a spouse or partner to go through the experience with. I was, and still am, blessed with an amazing support system of family and friends - for whom I still remain eternally grateful. Even with that support system, overall reaction to my news was very grim and sad and overall negative. These reactions weren't going to sway my decision because I made the choice to keep him and be his mommy and love him unconditionally; but perception gave the feeling that I was making the biggest mistake of my life. Fast forward to his birthday, 6/30/2007 and it was clear as day that he was one of my greatest achievements. 

B) Texas
I've married an amazing, cute and smart man who has a very specific career. The need for those who can do his job is great. His job and advancement in his career is taking us to the great state of Texas. We are very excited for the opportunity but will also leave a large part of our heart in Virginia. However, the response to this news has been overwhelmingly positive. Here's an obviously bittersweet situation, but reception feels like, while it will be hard, it's the right decision. 

We don't have crystal ball, this move could crash and burn - but it won't be from my attitude and outlook. It'll be because the job doesn't work out or we further advance my husband's career by moving elsewhere. I've accepted this move 100% and I'm ready for the life change and all the new experiences Texas has to offer!

No comments: